Friday, January 31, 2014

Empathy


      Be compassionate by thinking “how would I feel?” Unfortunately, we have become desensitized to hardship, cruelty, and desperation. Since Desert Storm we have watched war occur from our living room. We wake up every morning and go to sleep every night with the horrific news of murder or rape happening in a city only one half hour away. The consistency of negative news makes us shrug our shoulders and walk away only to crawl under our blankets for protection.
     As a teacher, I have watched as each new generation enters my classroom with less and less respect for each other, faculty, and staff. I smile as they enter my class room and say, "Good morning," only to have them walk by without so much as a smile in return. Few speak to each other, for they now maintain a steady stream of conversation through texting. I create group work, so they can interact and discuss controversial issues in an empathetic manner. They are taught to listen before they speak. They are taught to be sensitive to other's opinions and beliefs.
    We are a generation of violent video games, drones which drop bombs without thought of individuals being killed or maimed, and road rage. I worry about the world I will leave behind one day. I think of the quote by Atticus Finch from the novel  To Kill A Mockingbird,  "You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view […] until you climb into his skin and walk around in it." (3.85-87)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true. I see this with my own teenagers. I try to teach them to be sympathetic but their wrapped up in their own world.

Anonymous said...

our nation today has been corrupted without us knowing. new generations have no respect for each other and it's not getting any better. if we all try and change maybe the newer generations will become better.

Natala Orobello said...

Some teenagers are egocentric but that eventually changes. In most cases it's just a stage.

Natala Orobello said...

How would or could we change it? What's your suggestion?