Thursday, January 23, 2014

Lemons



If life throws you lemons, the hell with making lemonade, make apple pie instead. Why harp on the fact that you had lemons to begin with. Why not develop a new philosophy. One that reinforces that everything in life is a lesson from which we can and should grow. Lemons are sour; apple pie is sweet and lessons should be sweet enough to enjoy the growth that was made. When my husband was thirty-five and I was thirty-two, he had a massive heart attach. That was sour beyond imagination. Yet neither of us dwelt on the lemon factor. He went on to become one of the best electrical contractors in Long Island, and I went back to college. I am and have been a full time Professor of English for many years. We disregarded the fact that we were handed a bunch of lemons. We turned the situation into apple pie and it's been a great dessert.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never actually thought of turning lemons into a sweet dessert. In the past 10 months, I've been handed enough lemons to give each student in this class at least two glasses of lemonade. I've known of the saying "when life gives you lemons make lemonade" for years! It does seem like the whole concept of turning your lemons into lemonade is making things much more stressful than they should be. I really like the idea of making your lemons into apple pie instead. Instead of dwelling on your problems and trying to fix/change them, just realize the positive and keep moving forward.

Natala Orobello said...

You got it. I'm so glad, and I truly hope your problems will gradually reverse and become experiences which will bring you strength.