Monday, January 27, 2014

Walk Away


Never remain in a situation that is making you feel awkward or uncomfortable. When I was young, I thought I was being rude if I walked away when someone was talking. That is usually correct except when one walks away from an uncomfortable situation. I can remember a situation when I was fifteen that left me extremely uncomfortable. I worked in an office furniture store owned by two men. They seemed very nice but they would often joke about sexual matters. As a young teenager, I felt awkward but did not remove myself from the office when they began joking. To tell the truth, I was much older when I came to my senses.
Today, I don't walk away. Instead, I tell the person who is saying something inappropriate that I am not comfortable. My husband and I are on the same page with this, so there have been times when someone has said something that is prejudicial, sexual, or biased and we either say something or we get up and leave after saying, "this conversation is making us uncomfortable."
No one should have to listen or be victim to lewd or nasty remarks, so from now on tell it like it is or simply walk away.

No comments: