Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Stand Up to the Bully in Your Life


Bullies come in all ages, race, and creed. Beware of them and hold your ground. Sometimes one good verbal punch will put them in their place, since few bullies are intelligent. Most are insecure Neanderthals.
I've begun reading Proverbs and am finding more and more that wisdom has to do with good old common sense. There are many verses in the Bible regarding those who are loud and abusive. They are thought to be fools. In Proverbs 14:29 "A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly.  14:16   "A wise man fears the LORD and shuns evil, but a fool is hotheaded and reckless."   15:18 "A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel."            
I have found this book to be especially resourceful because so many of the verses hold truths that are not religious based, which is not what I want to do here, but life based. Proverbs also reminds us that fools and bullies were around even three thousand years ago. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have had quite a lot of experience with bullies throughout my life - it really only stopped in the 11th grade. I was and still am somewhat... socially inept. I've always been unable to relate to most of my peers, I have never enjoyed the same things as they, and in school I tended to speak differently than others.
It's fascinating just how large of a disconnect there is between popular teaching on the subject of bullies and what the reality has been, at least in my life.
Patience is doubtless a virtue, but it only carries you so far. However, the old 'turn the other cheek' fails when you have no choice but to occupy the same space alongside a bully and his friends for several hours a day. And while one might imagine that you could handle a person of lesser intellect in a verbal dispute, these confrontations rarely involve logic or rational thought. It's more about posture and volume than content. If you prove them wrong, they just get angrier and louder.

Natala Orobello said...

So, how would one correct the behavior of bullies? What do you think would work?