Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Who Are You?


Be introspective – learn who you are. When I was a Freshman in college, my English professor gave an assignment that I thought was silly. He said, "I want you to go home and look in the mirror. Write down what you learn."
"What?" I thought, "that's ridiculous," but I waited till the kids were in bed and then I went to my bedroom and sat down in front of the mirror. At first I saw only the superficial me and then within a half hour, I was bawling. I got the lesson. I began to look inside just like Kafka before he wrote The Metamorphosis. I wasn't a bug, but I saw the good as well as the bad. I saw the real me and it wasn't pretty, but I learned to acknowledge my strengths as well as my weaknesses and work toward improving myself.
It was a wonderful self-help lesson that I still remember thirty years later.

3 comments:

Kristen Magaw said...

I think that your English professor believed that students can only learn life lessons by actually experiencing them, rather than just hearing about them. Therefore, he assigned a creative assignment that would help show students who they really are. The effects of this assignment was that the student learned that she is not perfect, but she can work toward being the best person that she can be.

Anonymous said...

I think it is important to get to know yourself. Acknowledging your weaknesses and strengths and figuring out how to diminish your weaknesses and utilize your strengths is the only way you are able to grow as a person. As most people advise that the only way you can learn in life is by experiencing things, that seems to be the surface cause of learning. In most cases, by 'experiencing things' you are actually learning about yourself and the people around you; you are learning about how human beings think.

Natala Orobello said...

Very true. It is very important to learn about oneself in order to learn about others.