Monday, March 17, 2014

Common Sense Isn't So Common

When I was growing up, my father would often explain the importance of common sense. He told us common sense is much more important than text book knowledge. I'm not quite sure how one learns common sense. It is not something one is born with, but I believe one learns it through watching others like one's parents and siblings and relatives. I think that as one grows older without common sense, the more difficult it is to develop. Famous people like Benjamin Franklin tried to teach common sense through Poor Richard's Almanac. These maxims, ("a short, pithy statement expressing a general truth or rule of conduct,") educated readers on thriftiness, social conduct, obesity, slothfulness and much more. They remind me of Proverbs. I will write about a few maxims in the following week. Here is the first one for discussion.

"All things are easy to industry, all
things difficult to sloth."

Some people do not realize that one must work hard to achieve the gifts of hard work. Individuals who spend more time in bed or at play don't seem to understand why it is they are always broke. Some don't work at all yet want what they believe is their just due. I think Benjamin Franklin understood, as he was a very hard working man, that in order to have leisure time and in order to appreciate the finer things in life, one must work for these luxuries. Laziness will lead poverty and despair.


No comments: