Sunday, March 30, 2014

Friendship

Have you ever gone to a church service and thought, "Oh my gosh, this sermon was written especially for me." ? Today's sermon was on friendships and how we need to establish friendships that are healthy for us. The three main points made for a solid friendship are: first, seek friends who make you a better person; second, seek friends who provide spiritual strength, and third, seek a friend who will tell you the truth.
Another comment made was unfriend those who bring you down the wrong path. Examples given were, "don't hang around someone who is eating doughnuts as a hobby if you want to eat healthier; don't hang around someone who is miserable in his/her marriage if you want to improve yours, etc.
Friendship (like any relationship) is not easy; it is hard work, yet I realize that like any relationship friendships must be two sided, each person giving as well as accepting. Friendships require compromise yet in the long run friendships should help all the individuals involved to become better, healthier, stronger, and happier.
I'm beginning to think that I'll be a hundred years old before I get this friendship thing down. But, I'll keep at it till I do. It just might be my motivation for a long life.

No comments: