Monday, March 10, 2014

Love Yourself

Love yourself more than anyone else does. I know this sounds narcissistic, but I don’t mean to idolize yourself or think you’re the best thing since sliced bread and no one can compete with you. What I mean is for you to think of yourself with kindness and respect. I think individuals should look to taking care of themselves first, so they can help others later.
There are so many individuals who do, do, do for others, yet they think very little of doing for themselves. Then, they wonder why they are ill so often or out of breath or exhausted. They have taken very little time to relax, take a day off, and go for a massage or just saying no when asked for yet another favor.

Of course there are a thousand reasons to continue helping and doing, i.e. “they are family and need my help,” or “she’s my best friend. I know I’m tired, but I must help her out.” These are valid reasons and of course one should help family and friends. I don’t mean not to help – I mean if and when it’s detrimental to one’s health. For example, when one is on a plane, the flight attendant says to first place the oxygen mask over one's own face before placing it on the child. There’s a logical reason for this. It makes perfect common sense. How can one hope to be there if they are running out of air? 

No comments: