Tuesday, April 1, 2014

You're Never Too Old to Learn Something New

     

   
Sometimes I think people forget (myself included) that everyday is an opportunity for us to learn something new. The lesson doesn't have to be astounding but it can be a bit of information you never had before. Today, my students were presenting their arguments regarding contemporary issues. Presenters discussed removing jail time for drug users and replacing this with rehabilitation; legalization of marijuana; maintaining gun laws as is so everyone can be armed, and so on. We had pro/con for each topic. I learned quite a bit from their research even though I thought I had my mind made up on certain topics.
      That got me thinking why it is that as we get older we think we have all the answers. We don't. I think it's actually better if we realize we know very little and have much to learn before we die.
Recently, someone I know remarked how he learned nothing from a situation that I thought taught many of us a very important lesson. I felt pity for him. I think we can learn from all situations, and from all relationships.
      I think an open mind is a wonderful thing because then we can fill it with new and interesting knowledge. Then, maybe we can change to become better human beings. What an awful world it would be if people thought they had nothing left to learn once they graduated high school or college. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I have heard the words, "I can't wait to graduate, so I never have to read another book." I can't imagine not reading; it would be like taking the air out of my lungs.
     I hope I will continue to learn till the day I die. I hope I never believe I know it all because that will be the day I know even less than I know today.

No comments: