Sunday, May 4, 2014

Say no!

Several years ago, I was nominated and voted in to head a committee. I wasn't there to voice my objection or acceptance. I found out about it in passing. At first I laughed, thinking they were kidding, but I found out they had actually voted me in for this important position. I became upset and frustrated. How could they do that? I didn't want the responsibility. I didn't want it, period.
At first I thought I would accept, but then I thought "no, I don't want to lead that particular committee, so why should I accept?" I turned it down. Of course I initially felt badly, yet I realized they had played in an underhanded way.
This was a good lesson for me, for I rarely say no, especially when I'm placed on the spot. I began realizing that one must stand up for oneself because others definately will not. I know of many people, friends of mine, who can't and won't say no and then complain about the responsibility. They are miserable and overworked and yet they continue to take on more and more assignments.
The first no is the most difficult. You might want to practice at first, and when you begin to feel comfortable saying it to yourself, you might want to finally say it aloud to someone who deserves to hear it.

No comments: