Monday, June 30, 2014

A Misunderstanding


Is it possible that most arguments are misunderstandings? I bet the answer is a resounding yes! I have a perfect example. I recently had surgery (nothing major) but my right hand has been hurting and not really functioning for over seven weeks, so I needed surgery to repair the damage. Anyway, I had the surgery and most of my friends and family called to find out how the surgery had gone. All’s well – not really.

One particular person, whom I care about very much, did not call on the day of or the next day. I was hurt. When this person finally called, I was too hurt to even talk, so I ended the conversation rather abruptly. Well, the story doesn't  end there.

This individual guessed something was wrong, but had no idea what it could have been because no harm was meant. I was sure I had been ignored. Anyway, we talked (very important) and got it all out in the open. Now, I understand that this person also has been under some pressure and meant nothing by the slight.
After our phone conversation, I realized how many times I have felt hurt or slighted with family or friends. And something this person said made me realize how ridiculous I have been. “I’m sure each of us forgets once in awhile without meaning to.” Yes, we do. Yes, I do. I hope I will remember this incident the next time I am hurt, so I don’t take it personal.

Someone I know once told me, “remember QTip, Quit taking it personal.” It registered with me, yet I have a tendency of forgetting. I wish I could have an alarm go off the next time I take it personal. Then, maybe I would not be or feel so hurt.

No comments: