Friday, June 27, 2014

Getting Older


Getting older starts around thirty and doesn't end until we die. I remember how it felt when I reached that adult age of thirty. It was frightening, really! Don't ask, but I really thought wrinkles had formed overnight. I ran downstairs to our only bathroom and looked in the mirror to see what new wrinkles arrived while I slept. Nothing. I still cried. I felt I had taken a turn down the very dark path of adulthood, and to tell the truth, I wasn't ready. No other birthday has affected me as badly or as strongly.
Today, my philosophy is much healthier. It all depends on how I feel. Most of the time, I still feel like I'm in my thirties (which by the way ended up to be a pretty good decade), so I have little to complain about. After all, when we start to think about it, don't we all start getting older from birth? So what! Shouldn't we try to celebrate our birth dates as we did when we were young? 
My grandchildren think their birthdays are awesome. They get plenty of gifts, lots of cake and ice cream, and they get to celebrate with friends, play games, go in the pool, and have a grand old time. 
How come we don't celebrate unless we reach milestones like 50, 65, 80, 100? The wrinkles are going to come, the hair is going to turn grey, the arthritis is going to set in, but I promise that unless you're very ill, you will not feel your age. A very wise woman once told me it's all in one's attitude. She was talking about work, but I think attitude applies to every part of life. Since my thirties, my attitude has been, "I am as old as I feel," and today I feel like I'm twenty-nine.


No comments: