Monday, July 7, 2014

Healthy Skin

     
My mother had beautiful skin. I don’t remember her ever having a blemish, and when she passed away at the age of 89, I don’t remember too many lines or wrinkles. She never wore makeup except for the occasional lipstick at weddings. She rarely ventured out to sunbathe, though she did not shun the sun. She ate well and took one daily vitamin for as long as I can remember.
I’ve done some research on obtaining and maintaining beautiful skin, and this is what I have learned.
1.     Wash face twice a day with gentle soap and never scrub around the eye area because it is a very delicate area and bruises easily.
2.   Use make up remover to get rid of stubborn makeup.
3.   Use a toner like Witch Hazel on nose and forehead.
4.   Use SPF 30 on face every morning regardless of whether you are going out or not, and don’t forget the neck, d├ęcolletage, and ears.
5.   Exfoliate at least twice a week with recipe I mentioned a few days ago – olive oil, kosher salt, and coconut extract. Or, look one up that you may like even more; for instance, in womansday.com there are recipes for masks, toners, scrubs, moisturizers, and much more. I particularly like the one for moisturizer – 1 tbs. fennel tea, 1 tsp. honey, and 1 tsp. ground oatmeal.
6.   Use retinol cream every night and include vitamin A in your diet. I am trying out, for one week, to use the vitamin A oil directly on my skin. I will let you know if I can see a difference.
7.   Consume antioxidants found in salmon, and in deep colored fruits and vegetables.
8.   Break a sweat! Exercise to improve circulation and oxygen capacity.
9.   Get a good nights sleep.
10.Use serum instead of cream; it’s more effective and less expensive.
     Most of these “rules” seem to be common sense. However, how many of us go to bed without washing our face? How many of us concentrate on the types of fruits and vegetables we eat? See what I mean? We truly do have to make a conscientious decision to do what is right for our skin, so we can have the type of skin we have always wanted. And, remember, we are not getting any younger. The older we get, the more we need to take care of what we have.



No comments: