Monday, July 14, 2014

Look Like a Million


   
 I am not a shopper, but I do purchase clothes and accessories at minimum three times a year: before each college semester and around Christmas. My favorite places to shop are Macy’s, Kohl’s and Cato’s. The prices are right for my budget, but sometimes I like to look like I’ve spent a lot, but actually have spent less than when I shop at Macy’s.
     A few years ago, I volunteered at a thrift shop. While working there, I realized that some people get rid of stuff that is brand new (some still had tags on) and were name brands. Wow, what an eye opener that was for me. I bought a few pairs of jeans, which cost me about three dollars each, and they fit like a gem. I thought I would wear them to knock around with, yet when I put them on, I realized I could wear them at work as well. Thus began my love affair with thrift shops and consignment centers.
     I go to places that are clean, not overstocked, and look like regular retail stores. If they look like you wouldn’t want to step foot into one, then don’t! The store should have a dressing room, items should be labeled, and racked according to size, beware of bins. This one particular consignment center I frequent looks like an upscale boutique. Customers are sure to find name brands for less than regular price. I also like to shop online consignment stores like: michaelsconsignment.com, tradesy.com, and couterereborn.com. Most online consignment shops have free shipping and these particular ones have upscale name brands like Alaia, Hermes, and Armani, but they will cost less than half their retail prices and in some cases one quarter of the retail price!
     One does not have to spend a million to look like a million. I love purchasing after season when items are fifty to seventy-five percent less than at the beginning of the season. Visit the sale rack before you purchase something on the prominent racks or on the mannequin. Department managers will always place sale racks toward the back, hoping costumers will purchase before they walk to the back. Mannequins are dressed with the most expensive items, so be careful you don’t fall for that manipulative tactic!




No comments: