Tuesday, July 22, 2014

The Bedspread

   
      I went to the bank today to cash in my coins; after all, yesterday I talked about saving every penny. I waited in line because this lady had brought a freezer bag filled with coins. She walked away with nearly forty dollars. She apologized for keeping me waiting but informed me the money would go to her grandchild for school supplies (a woman after my own heart). By the time I got to the machine, it was full. So, I waited again for an employee to bring a fresh container. I digress. By the time I completed my transaction, I walked away with six dollars. Not bad for a few weeks collection of pennies, nickels and dimes.
     My story does not end there. There is this wonderful teller at my bank who is cordial and efficient. He works there full time and works at Wal-Mart on weekends. He told me he was leaving to work at a different branch, but in the meantime we talked about his two jobs. We talked about how it is sometimes necessary to work two jobs in order to afford the luxuries. He told me he wanted his wife to be a stay at home mom while his children are young, and that is why he works the two jobs. This sparked a conversation on how years ago many men worked two jobs because most women did stay home to raise the children.
     What I walked away with was that there is nothing wrong in wanting the better things in life as long as one is willing to wait and work for them. Perhaps patience is the key word toward having what we want. Waiting for a desired item to go on sale requires patience as does saving for that special something you have always wanted. It is only when we purchase without the funds that we fall flat on our faces with the weight of our debt.
     It is also a good idea to think before purchasing something and ask those all important questions, “Do I really need this?” or “Why am I buying this?” There are times when we buy for the wrong reasons. Today, I was ready to purchase a new bedspread because I had seen a great sale. I procrastinated and then realized I was putting off purchasing the bedspread because I really did not need it. I saved a hundred dollars. Good move since my doctor bill came today and it’s a little more than that. Sometimes, I actually listen to my own advice.

No comments: