Thursday, August 7, 2014

Date Night - Yes, for Married Couples!

     

     Married couples forget that dating is an essential part of staying happily married. Sometimes, couples tend to believe that once they are married the dating game is over. Wrong!! Dating is never more important.
     I have been posting about baby boomers and will continue to do so for the next several weeks, and today’s topic is on dating. This applies not only to baby boomers but also couples who are newly married. Why is dating so important? It is important because dating tends to focus the relationship on the reasons why couples got together in the first place.
     Dating brings back the romance. Couples should decide on where they will go and what they will do. The decisions should be agreeable to both. Here’s what my husband and I decided to do. Each of us made up a list of places we would like to go. He took my list and I took his. We intend to go on a date at least twice a month. That does not mean we won’t go out the other weeks, but it does mean that two of those date nights will be specifically designed to please the other person.
     My list included: museums, theater, dinner on the beach to watch sunset, concerts, snorkeling, canoeing, boat ride to see the sunrise, visits to local (yet distant) amusement parks and in state sightseeing –touristy attractions where we would actually bring a camera.
     My husband’s list included: a night out listening to music, movies, dinner on Sunset Cruise, playing mini-golf, walking the local mall, and having friends over for coffee.
     As one can quickly see, our lists are different, but that’s the point. He will choose one item from my list, and I will choose one item from his list for our date night. I’m excited to see how this will work out!


No comments: