Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Minestrone Soup



I made this the other day because I wanted something healthy for my "school" lunches. I decided to buy frozen vegetables since they have zero sodium and zero fat and are quick and easy (I love easy and love quick even more). I added salt to my taste, which is very little and just a touch of healthy fat from the four tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. The vegetable broth is also low sodium. I had a nice size pot on the stove and enough minestrone soup for that night's dinner as well as lunch for several days!!

Ingredients:
2 cups frozen mixed beans
2 cups frozen broccoli florets
2 cups frozen peas
1 cup frozen string beans
1 smoked ham hock
1 large container of vegetable broth
2 cloves garlic – sliced thin
1 small onion - chopped
4 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
¼ pound of Ditallini pasta

Directions:
In a deep pot, braise garlic and onion in the olive oil. Once braised, add broth and all vegetables. Add ham hock about fifteen minutes before removing soup from heat. You can freeze the ham hock for another time. Boil water for pasta. Cook pasta half the directed time. Drain and then add to your soup and cook till tender. You can add more vegetables if you like. This recipe is really fast, but the results are terrific!!











© Natala Orobello

No comments: