Wednesday, September 3, 2014

New England Clam Chowder




I know some people would not consider New England Clam Chowder a comfort food, but when I'm feeling down and need a quick pick me up, I ask Michael (my husband) to make up a pot of his special chowder. It's special because he makes it with Lactaid milk instead of whole milk or heavy cream like most restaurants. The best part - I get to take it to lunch for a few days.

Ingredients:
2 cups milk or Whole Lactaid Milk
2 cups chopped clams
4 tbs. butter
4 tbs. flour
1 large potato - cut into cubes
2 carrots – diced
1 small onion – diced
2 celery stalks – cleaned, peeled, and diced
1 tbs. butter
Directions:

Sauté all vegetables in one tablespoon o f butter and set aside. In a deep pot, make rue with the 4 tbs. of butter and 4 tbs. of flour. Begin adding milk slowly till is creamy. Add the vegetables and clams. Cook on low heat for forty minutes or till carrots and potatoes are tender.

© Natala Orobello

No comments: