Monday, October 13, 2014

Cleaning Tips

     

    My husband and I are not sloppy, and for that I'm very grateful. We pick up after ourselves, and we both pitch in to keep our home clean. I've had cleaning ladies come in, but they never do the job I expect and most of the time they either break something or rearrange my kitchen because they can't remember how it looked when they started. Cleaning takes organization and structure.

     I guess the best advice I can give to begin is to start one room at a time. Don’t try to clean every room at the same time! That’s not a good idea. Begin with one room, complete the cleaning of that room and move to the next until every room is clean. Don’t try getting rid of stuff at the same time either because that will delay the cleaning.

     Start with the easiest room first because that will give you a great sense of accomplishment and great motivation to move onward. The most difficult room, for me, is the kitchen. I leave that for last because that needs the most cleaning. Actually, cleaning the kitchen may take two days if you haven’t kept up, which brings me to my favorite part of this post, clean everyday so you never have to give up your weekends again.


     It may take you one to two weeks to get your house the way you want it to look, but once you do, all you have to do is maintain.
  • Pick up after yourself – another words, if you have a snack, clean the dish and put it away or put it in the dishwasher; changed your clothes, put away the clothes you wore or place…
  • Place dirty clothes in hamper – do laundry as often as necessary
  • Put clothes away after you’ve done laundry
  • Have a set place for mail, keys, shoes, jackets, etc.
  • Have one place for billing purposes – a file cabinet where you keep all items related to billing. I know many take care of their billing online, but for those of us who still work with some paper bills, make sure everything is in one place.
  • Clean your refrigerator before you go food shopping.
  • Clean your oven after each use
  • Clean your stove after each use
  • Dust one room every morning or every night – it takes a loss less time when you tackle one room at a time.
  • Vacuum carpets once a week
  • Sweep and mop after dinner
     Trust me when I tell you that you will never have a messy or unclean house again. As for disposing of clutter, do that one day when it’s either coming down torrential rain or there’s a blizzard outside. Or, as I once did, you can get a big box and place it in the garage, then place at least one unwanted item everyday for one year. Not only will you de-clutter but also make room for those items you really want or need.

     Cleaning does not have to be a huge burden; instead, it can be a catharsis of a sort. I think about my house as I do my body. I want to have it clean and smell free. I want to feel proud of the house I live in, so I take care of it every day. Check out Fabulessly Frugal Blog

     Let me know your cleaning routine. I would love to hear from you.

© Natala Orobello

No comments: