Thursday, October 9, 2014

The Slippery Slope of Ebola


     I’m afraid the U.S. is asking for trouble. We are accepting multiple Ebola patients to our country instead of keeping them where they are and tending to them there. According to the New York Times, the U.S. is treating two cases of Ebola.

One patient is in Omaha, Nebraska, and one is in Atlanta, Georgia (2014). Three individuals were treated and recovered. Two of which were given an experimental drug (of which we have mysteriously run out). The individual who came to the U.S. without notifying the authorities and then went to the hospital to report his illness recently died.

Meanwhile authorities are trying to find all those who may have had some exposure to this man. My worst nightmare is that our doctors and nurses will become infected and unintentionally infect others. NPR recently had a segment on Ebola, and the reporter interviewed several doctors who were flying to Africa to help, and they explained how difficult it is to completely cover oneself and the extra difficulty of taking the suit off without contamination!


     I’m not normally fatalistic, yet this virus is fatal in many cases, and the worst part of it is that it takes between eight to ten days before one even knows he/she has been exposed or infected! I’m concerned because my government is saying not to worry, and I have learned my lesson that when someone tells you not to worry, that’s exactly when you should begin worrying. I know I’m also being cynical, but after eight years of Republicans and Democrats having at it and never really telling America’s citizens the truth, who can blame me? I haven’t exactly felt like either party is listening to the citizens, hence I’m not feeling all that trustworthy. However, I do have a solution to our problem, though some may view it as a joke, but trust me I’m not kidding.

     I propose we bring everyone who is possibly infected to the virus to Guantanamo Bay. I recommend we have a slew of doctors and nurses and as much of that experimental drug at hand as possible. As the patients become cleared of any threat of the virus, they can be released and flown home. This way, we quarantine them straightaway without threat to American families. I’ve never been to Guantanamo, but as a naval base, I would think its risk free and Americans can avoid the slippery slope of a wide spread epidemic in our country.
   
(What do you think? Send me your comment.)
   
© Natala Orobello

No comments: