Thursday, November 13, 2014

Article: Playing the Blaming Game


Playing the blaming game is so darn easy. If we’re Republicans, we can blame the president for being involved in the Middle East, for health care, for the economy, for education, etc. If we’re Democrats we might want to blame congressmen and senators and if we don’t know what we are we blame everyone. It’s great blaming others; this way we don’t have to look at ourselves.

One can take this scenario and create an analogy within our families. If we like the way we ended up we take full credit, but if we have emotional hang ups or psychological problems, well then it’s all mom’s fault or dad was a really pain in the butt. We take the credit for the positive and hand out the blame for the negative. Again, it’s much easier that way.

So, what’s my point? I don’t know. I think I’m looking at my own faults and finally deciding to accept my faults as my own and my successes as my own. I’m old enough. I’ve blamed my past for plenty. I had a good childhood and a crummy childhood. There’s worse and there’s better.

I think someone who has had trauma in their lives because of poor parenting issues needs counseling. Sometimes, they need years of counseling, but then it’s time to move on. Sometimes those negative elements actually helped shape the positive character traits in one’s personality. That’s good, right?

I love my kids. I think they’re the smartest and wisest people I know. My daughter, who by the way could blame me for a few problematic issues like poor body image and a sense of abandonment, has never played the blame game. She loves me unconditionally and for that I am eternally grateful. My son also loves unconditionally and claims that every experience in his life has been a lesson toward improving who he is as a husband, father, son and brother.

As citizens we should look at ourselves as well as our leaders. What do we do? How do we react? Do we participate in elections? Do we voice our concerns and our questions? Complaining without action gets one nowhere. The sixties proved that citizens who use their voice in unison get things done. If you don’t believe me look up your history.

Ok, my point in this editorial is to tell people to stop bitching and start doing. If you’re a woman and are being paid less, speak up. If you’re a black man being harassed, get a lawyer or unite with your brothers and change the status quo. Numbers show that fewer African American men attend college compared to white males. Change the statistics. Education means power. I’m so tired of saying that because few people believe me, yet all they have to do is look up all those individuals who made a difference in this world. Some lost their lives to get an education because they understood this phrase.

I think I’m going off on a tangent, so I will end my tirade, but I do want to say once more, stop playing the blaming game and take ownership of your own future.
© Natala Orobello

No comments: