Thursday, December 18, 2014

Christmas in Florida


Christmas in Florida is not the same as Christmas in New York. Winter holidays swiftly arrive like jack in the box. We are still in our bathing suits, diving in our warm pools, drinking our margaritas when the rest of the country is bustling with speed to the nearest mall to purchase gifts for under the Christmas tree. We have palm trees swaying with the breeze. Christmas? Really? When did that happen?

My first winter in Florida was comical. We ended up lowering the air conditioner to around 60 degrees just so we would feel cold enough to wear sweaters! Our plants were still growing as quickly as in the summer months, and we did not even think of the holidays. We could see from the evening news that other states were experiencing snow, blizzards, and below freezing weather, but we were sitting pool side with our drinks and thinking, “isn’t life grand?” Suddenly, it was about a week before Christmas, and I had not purchased one gift. I was always the one who began buying most of my gifts around September or October. Weeks before the big day, I was done. Not in Florida. I was a changed woman.

Mind you, I love Florida (I didn’t always), but around Thanksgiving, I begin to miss feeling that brisk chill in the air, and tackling the crowds at my favorite mall. I miss the hustle and bustle of New York Christmas. I miss building snow men and making snow angels. I miss cold fingers at Rockefeller Plaza as the Christmas tree is lit. I miss… Oh who am I kidding? I don’t miss all that cold, snow stuff, I just miss feeling like it’s Christmas. But, I guess I can lower the air and put on a sweater, and all will be well.

© Natala Orobello

No comments: