Thursday, December 25, 2014

From Darkness into Light


These are tumultuous times. I don’t think anyone will argue that. Without any research at all, I can recollect some of this year’s top news stories and wince. The kidnapping of dozens of young girls by Nigerian extremists, the Syrian Civil War and the displacement of thousands from their homes and country, the beheadings of innocent men carried out by Isis terrorists in the name of justice, the Ebola outbreak and the thousands who died, the racial riots in the United States that are reminiscent of the 60s, the technical glitches that have cost millions and destroyed some reputations, on and on and on. I’m not sure what we Americans can do. I don’t even know where we would start. But, I do have some ideas.

I am not the type of person who can tackle large problems. I am always impressed by those who can change laws, direct new ventures, oversee and handle corporations, and govern cities, states, or a country. I can handle smaller stuff.  I made sure my children were respectful, generous, spiritual, trustworthy, and all around good people. I try to be kind, respectful, and courteous to everyone I meet and everyone I know. I’ve never gotten into trouble with the law and no one I know has ever gotten into trouble with the law. My family and my friends have the same philosophies as I, and we are good citizens.

I become involved in neighborhood concerns, like the time we had a neighbor who did not maintain his home for many years, and it became a danger to the neighborhood.  I wrote to the commissioners asking them to please do something about home owners who did not maintain their home. They asked me to pass around a petition, and I did. The problem was solved. If there are problems at work and workers are not being treated fairly, I become involved. As a faculty member, it is very important to me that faculty and staff have a positive attitude, so students will receive the best education from individuals who are content at work. When I teach, I give it 100%. That does not mean I am the best teacher in the world, but it does mean I do everything in my power to be the best I can be. Those are the ways I make change. It’s not earth shattering, but it’s what I can do.

My point in this article is that if each of us makes one small attempt to improve our circumstances, then imagine the positive reaction. If everyone around the world tried to improve their neighborhood, their workplace, their family, etc., then maybe the world would not be such a dark place to live. Maybe, each of us would shed light instead of dark. What do you think? What can we do? How can individuals make the world a better place?
© Natala Orobello

No comments: