Monday, December 29, 2014

Promise to Give

I have been writing all month about charity and generosity. This is my final post on this subject. Most of my moral and ethical lessons come from my mother. I have many wonderful memories of my mother's selfless love. When she passed away, we found her diary, which I now have, and my siblings and I read with tears in our eyes how much she loved giving to others. She thanked God for her life and for what he did provide. I do not remember her ever wanting more than she had.

Maybe, that's the lesson to learn. Maybe, we all should be grateful for what we have and stop trying to compete with all those others who seem to have so much more. My mother loved family. Family was her priority after God. From her, I learned the importance of love for husband and for children. From her, I learned to be affectionate and sensitive. I realize many do not have mothers like mine. I realize that many have mean spirited mothers who do not show love or compassion, but one can break the cycle. One can make a promise to change the genetic nature of hate and turn it into love.

I have learned that the best way to feel good about what one has is by volunteering for those who have a lot less. I know it sounds cliché to write a list of all one is thankful, but I recently heard that maybe the best list to make is a list of what one is thankful they are NOT like, "I'm thankful I'm not a young black man because I believe they are profiled by the way they look than by who they are" or "I'm thankful I'm not poor because their suffering is so profound," or "I'm thankful I don't live in Pakistan because as a woman I would be thought of as lesser than."

I think we should make a promise to be compassionate to all those for whom you are not. Make a promise to give to organizations that will educate our young people and old alike; make a promise to give to the poor, and make a promise to help those in countries where education, peace, and democracy does not exist. Initiate peace, tolerance, and generosity.
© Natala Orobello

No comments: