Tuesday, December 9, 2014

What's In A Name?

I wrote this poem because for many years people called me Lina. Long story, but it goes something like this. My real name is Natala, but in Italy they have a tendency to add "lina" to everyone's name, so they called me Natalina. Eventually, they (my family and relatives) took away my real name and called me by the ending, Lina. 
I went by Lina for so long I forgot my real name. Really! In my thirtees I need my birth certificate and that's when I learned my name, again. I began using my real name then, but it has been very difficult for family and friends who knew me when...
My name is very important to me. It reflects by birthdate and the essence of who I am. This poem, I hope, explains my desire to be called, Natala.


What's in a name?
A rose is a rose is a rose
but what happens if one calls a rose, daisy?

It would change everything.
the rose would begin to look different
it would begin to act differently
It just would not be the same.

A name defines
it distinguishes and provides color
a name gives meaning
to the personality within.

What if a lion were called "muskrat"?
It would not roar
it would not walk around with pride
He would wither and die.

A name dignifies
it explains who we are 
before we know who we are
it helps us grow strong or weak.

What's in a name?
Everything - 

                                                                                    © Natala Orobello

No comments: