Monday, February 2, 2015

Making Memories


A close friend of mine recently discovered she has cancer. I was shocked, upset, and then depressed. She takes very good care of herself, exercises, eats well, keeps busy and is in a loving relationship. So, how did this horrible disease happen to her? I now think about my own demise because we won’t live forever. I won’t live forever, even though I believe I will live for a very long time. We just don’t know.
For the past two months, I have thought about her health and her treatment (chemo), and how much her life has changed. I think about what her next five months will be like as she undergoes treatment. I think back at the things she wanted to do, and how she will have to postpone it all. I've thought about how I keep putting off things I want to do, places I want to go, and people I want to surround myself with, but have done little to change my lifestyle. Then again, I think I want to leave behind a legacy for the future generation in my family. This thought has brought me to a new and more profound discovery.

As a Christian, I believe that when I die I will not have the memories of the past but only the present with  my God in my eternal life. So, my new philosophy is to create memories for my children, grandchildren, husband, friends and relatives. I want them to look back at the life we shared and think, "remember when she ..."
© Natala Orobello

No comments: