Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Scrumptious Coffee Crumb Cake


New Yorkers love coffee crumb cake for Sunday breakfast. I truly did enjoy the one from Glen Cove Bakery, but I have made some revisions because I like a very moist cake with extra crunchy crumbs. I always have the ingredients in house, so I can mix up a tray in no time at all for company coming over or to bring when I visit.

Ingredients for cake portion:
1 pkg. Lemon cake
Prepare according to box directions. Bake for 15 minutes or until top is somewhat baked but soft. 

Ingredients for crumb topping:
2 sticks of butter (softened)
2 ¼ cups of all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
2 ½ tsp. cinnamon

Directions: 
Combine ingredients with fingertips, leaving chunks of crumb.  It is best to refrigerate crumbs till cake is ready.  
Then add the crumb mixture on top of cake and continue baking for at least 10 more minutes.
A word of warning, if the cake is definitely done, yet the crumbs appear to still be very light in color, place oven on broil for a minute in order to attain the golden color you want. DO NOT leave in for longer or it will be too brown.

 © Natala Orobello

No comments: