Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Sausage & Peppers

I realize that sausage and peppers may not seem to be the most exciting meal, but I think it's healthy, visually appealing, and deeeelicious. Ok, I know I say that about almost everything I cook, but honestly, would I be writing a blog about cooking if I didn't think my recipes were good? Sausage and peppers is a basic Italian dish that can be accompanied with homemade bread, like the one I made and is pictured here, or it can be accompanied with plain parsley flavored rice. You decide. The bread recipe is so easy I'm almost embarrassed to print it. But, I will just for you.

Ingredients for Two:
3 links of cooked sausage (preferably barbequed) sliced into bite size pieces.
2 peppers – red and orange – sliced long
1 very large Vidalia onion – sliced long
2 tbs. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
In deep skillet place olive oil, onion, peppers, and sausage. Sprinkle salt and pepper, toss, and cook at medium or low heat till peppers are still crisp, onions are tender but not mushy. Taste a piece of sausage, pepper, and onion to be sure it is cooked just right. I’m usually full by the time everything is ready (just kidding).
Bread:
Ok, I said this was going to be easy. So, I buy frozen American Bread loaves (not baked yet). I take out as many as I need and let it rise for at least two hours. Be sure to oil the top and flour the bottom of your pan while it is rising. Then, I sprinkle flour around the loaf and kneed it till flour is absorbed. This makes the loaf more dense than regular white bread. When it has risen again, I cut a few lines on top, and place in 375 degree oven till top is a little hard. Then, I brush the top with salted water. I do this several times till the top is a golden brown. The inside is soft and the outside is crunchy! Trust me, this is very good.

© Natala Orobello

No comments: