Monday, November 30, 2015

I Don't Know

As an older woman, I think I should know so much
when asked questions of import and substance
and I hate saying, "I don't know."

I should know all about tradition,
spiritual growth, and how to have
lasting relationships, but the truth is
I don't know.

I've come close to the golden ring of success
as it is defined by my petty mind
and I'm just beginning to learn that success
is measured not by what I know but by
what I've done.

My actions speak volumes to my friends and family
to those neighbors near and far.
My actions reflect who I really am, so it doesn't
matter what I say or what I know.

I'm an older woman who needs to learn so much more
from those things I've done and those words I've spoken.
If I survive another decade or two, I need to learn
that wisdom comes from figuring out how to answer
those tough questions of which we do not know the answer
now.

No comments: