Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Summer Time


It's Summer Time and I am once again reevaluating and reexamining who I am, what I do that is right, what I do that is wrong, and how I can improve as a wife, mother, grandmother, and teacher. Of course it goes without saying that I am reevaluating how to be a better Christian, for none of the other categories would be possible if I didn't attain this one first.

Every Summer for the past decade or more, I look toward summer not as a time to vacation ( what is that anyway?) but as a time to gain wisdom about myself and my surroundings. Have I learned a lot? Maybe, but everytime I think I am learing something, there's some other lesson I have not learned, like understanding my neighbors  and why they do the things they do. I end the summer thinking I am guilty of assuming (I do that often) that they have better things to do than call me or invite me over or come over, when suddenly the end of August approaches and wouldn't you know it several of them call to invite me to lunch!! What the heck? I thought I had it all solved!

Sometimes I evaluate my personality and realize I am guilty (notice the word guilty comes up quite often) of not only assumptions but also of arrogance. I think I know it all. Surprise!! I don't. I learn that my assumptions are wrong; I've miscalculated someone's intentions, someone's motives, and someone's kindness. Then I think of Mother Theresa's prayer and apply it to myself.

           People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.  Forgive them anyway.
            If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.  Be kind anyway.
            If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine 
           enemies.  Succeed anyway.
           If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.  Be honest and sincere anyway.
            What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.  Create anyway.
            If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.  Be happy anyway.
            The good you do today, will often be forgotten.  Do good anyway.
            Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.  Give your best anyway.
            In the final analysis, it is between you and God.  It was never between you and them anyway.

More often than not, I come to Summer's end realizing once again that I am not perfect, not by a long shot, but dammit I try!! 

© Natala Orobello

No comments: